Thursday 26 August 2004

Do Scheduled Tasks need the Task Scheduler service?

After the last entry and discovering that the at trick still works, I asked myself this question: do tasks created through Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks need the Task Scheduler service?

Sadly, they do.

However, I don't currently have any scheduled tasks, so I've disabled the service. If you want to do the same, either use the Services MMC snap-in, or you can use sc...

sc config schedule start= disabled

Edit (2004-09-02): OK, I've re-enabled it. A number of readers (I have readers?!?) mentioned that a number of system optimisation features also run using the Schedule service, something I confirmed with Filemon. Obviously the ability to create a job that starts as LocalSystem is a bit disconcerting, but it seems that this can only be done locally by an authenticated administrator. I'd prefer to have a separate optimisation service, but you can't have everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This will also prevent some of the self tuning tasks from running. According to ProcessIdleTasks API (advapi) this does the every three day boot and app optimise and some System restore stuff. But there is other stuff too that may be affected.